Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Tumeric Face Mask (For that Oh so Beautiful Glow)

OK, I know this one is a bit different. Not something you eat, but it is technically still food, and it is made in my kitchen, so the way I see it...this is totally appropriate. Plus, who doesn't love a little self pampering? I personally, LOVE. LOVE. LOVE. it.

This is by far, my all time favorite face mask, including ones I have actually purchased at beauty stores. Mint Julep face masks come in second. But this one is W-O-N-D-E-R-F-U-L! To start with, it has a beautiful color (at least I think so). But even if it was puke green I would still love it because of what it does for my face!


STOP! I know what you're thinking. "Ummm, this girl is CRAZY with a capital C. That's going to turn my face yellow". 

 It won't. I'm not the first to do this...trust me. You can fine tumeric face masks all over the internet and people have been using it for ages. If you follow this recipe, you shouldn't have any issues. But I can say this...NEVER add olive oil. You'll find some recipes that say olive oil instead of honey, or in addition. From what I can tell, olive oil is the magic ingredient to taking it from a nice glow, to looking like a sick Umpa Lumpa. 

This gives you a beautiful glow AND makes your skin feel so clean/fresh/soft/moisturized...pretty much any positive descriptor that you can think of for your face. Here's a break down of how it does so many wonderful things.

Flour- serves as an exfoliator. Helps get rid of all that dead skin covering your beautiful face!
Pure Honey- antibacterial. Trust me, I'm a Microbiologist haha. No seriously...I am. But if you need proof google that baby! PLUS, it's moisturizing. Double Wammo!
Greek Yogurt- packed with nutrients for you face to help those skin cells be happy campers. And yea, moisturizing...again!
Tumeric- Oh dear. Don't get me started on tumeric. Too late! It's like a super food that's totally taken for granted. First off, it too has antibacterial power! It's good for you immune system (when take orally), your liver, your blood pressure..the list goes on and on. Why? Because brace your self..it's got an absurd amount of anti oxidants in it. So yeah, it's good for your face! Good for you health. Don't just put it on your face...eat it. Not the face mask, but just in general :-)

So, here we go. 

A little bit of tumeric


Some flour



Mix it all up!


Add your yogurt, honey, and some milk to counteract the thickness of it all. Stir it up!


And last, but not least..apply all over your face and leave for ~30 min. Obviously, be careful to not get it in your eyes (though to be honest, I always put it right under my eyes and have never had an issue). I always put it on before I take a shower, that way if I get any in my hair I can just wash it right off with ease. 

Super easy, super cheap, and super amazing. But wait...THERE'S MORE! No seriously, you will have a lot of left over after just one application. No worries, this can be covered and put in the fridge. Iv'e used it for up to a week after making it. It won't go bad. It's got all that antibacterial goodness that keeps it nice for days. I wouldn't use it past a week though. That's my arbitrary cut off.

Now go make it and make your self all pretty/handsome. Yeah that's right fellas, this is for you too! My husband puts it on (admittedly after an hour of pestering from me) when I make it, and it does wonders for him too!

Tumeric Face Mask

Ingredients
1 tsp Tumeric
2 tbs all purpose flour
2 tbs greek yogart
1 tbs milk
1/2 tsp pure honey

1. Mix flour and tumeric
2. Add in all wet ingredients and stir
3. Apply to face/neck and leave to dry for 30min.It will become very dry and stiff, and will crack if you move your face muscles too much. I generally try not to talk when I have the mask on to prevent cracking.
4. Wash off with warm water




No comments:

Post a Comment

All images on this blog are my property unless otherwise stated. This includes blog title image and Favicon. If you are planning to use these images, please give credit where appropriate.