Monday, August 12, 2013

Garlic Lemon Hummus

Alrighty guys, this one is easy peasy lemon squeezy. No pun intended. That's not true, pun totally intended.

So this one was part of last night's dinner, but it's perfect for snacking on too. I honestly DISLIKE all store bought hummus that I have ever eaten. Perhaps I simply have not come across the right one for me, but of the many I have run across, they all have the same issue... Too Sweet! It's like all the flavor is there, but they added a cup of sugar for the fun of it and ruined it.

And then, one marvelous day about two years ago, my mom decided to make some hummus to snack on. Why, oh why, was I not shown this earlier in life?! And the best part, you can make it whatever delicious flavor your little heart desires. Fancy some roasted peppers? Throw them right in! Love yourself some garlicy pesto? Add in a nice dollop! By the way, pesto....SUPER easy to make as well. I'll get around to making some and post that as well. So, from that day on...no gross sweet store bought hummus. Only the yummy homemade kind for this one!


So, as always..gather up those ingredients! Chickpeas, paprika, lemon, salt....


Olive oil, and garlic. 


mmmk, so now that we got that you're going to want a food processor or a blender. I used a hand blender because it's all we currently have since the move, and it was a less than pleasant experience. My husband turned to me mid process to say, and I quote "Why don't you go take a walk out side? How about getting us some wine?" To which I kindly replied "I don't need a freekin walk. Get your own wine!". 

So basically you just toss everything right into your blending apparatus, which for your sake and sanity I hope is NOT a hand blender, and blend away! I will note, that the olive oil here is both for flavor and consistency. So if you aren't too keen on adding too much olive oil but want something less thick, you can try using milk or save some of the liquid that the chickpeas comes in and add some of that to get a less dry and smooth mixture. 



Yummo, right!? I sprinkled a little bit of paprika on top and dunzo! Of course everything here can be done to taste. So if you prefer a more citrus taste, squeeze in some more lemon. More salt? Yup, sprinkle that right in. You don't have to keep blending it either. Just get the consistency you want and then add the extra salt, paprika, etc. and just mix with a spoon. The flavors will blend right in! It really is perfection. Grab some pita, carrots, broccoli, and dip it right in for a healthy snack. Or, if you're lucky you'll get to enjoy it like this...


I know, it's a bit of a tease! But all that goodness (minus the hummus and the store bought pita) is the husbands doing. Falafel and tabouli. It was, indeed, amazing! I would promise to make them myself and post it, but I don't have much patience for what I arbitrarily deem "complicated" dishes and falafel was one of those. But the tabouli I might, it is in fact very simple. We shall see. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

All images on this blog are my property unless otherwise stated. This includes blog title image and Favicon. If you are planning to use these images, please give credit where appropriate.